Thursday 18 April 2013

{ rakia }

Yesterday was D's birthday and, because my mom arrived yesterday afternoon so that she could babysit for me this morning, we took the opportunity to have a date night to celebrate. We went to a new-ish spot in Leslieville called Rakia Bar.



A menu inspired by central and eastern European cuisine, they are known for their wide selection of Rakia which is fruit brandy. Their rakia are distilled from plum, pear, quince, apricot, juniper, raspberry and apple. 



D started with a pear based rakia. 



And I started with the Zwack (an apricot based rakia). Each was served with mezes, including some cured meat, olives, pickles and cheese.




The decor was industrial yet warm and chic yet comfortable. I love the glass cabinet in the bar in the top photo and the way the bottles of rakia were displayed. 

D wasn't the only one gazing at me all evening, Nicholas Tesla did, too.


Our meal was amazing. D started with the smelts.



I had the pork and beet sliders (minus the bun) with coleslaw and beet chips.



D's main was duck confit.



And I had the already-fallen-off-the-bone goats milk braised lamb shank with fingerling potatoes and spring vegetables.



While I could only manage half a glass of the Rakia before I switched to wine, it was a really interesting flavour and I enjoyed what I had. And the food alone was worth another trip to Rakia Bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment