Tuesday 11 December 2012

{ nursery on a budget }

Since we moved into our new place when E was just shy of 2 months old, I didn't have the opportunity to get his nursery done the way I wanted before he was born. 

At the old place, we slapped something together to make it nice enough for him to have a room of his own (even though he slept in our room) and to stage the place to sell it.



However, in my mind was a room that was whimsical, gender neutral and calm. I started out by looking at the house and home section on the Anthropologie website (it's my favourite store and I was looking for inspiration). When I was browsing the categories, I discovered that they have wallpaper and fell in love with this Enchanted Forest mural by artist, Rebecca Rebouche.


Screengrab courtesy of Anthropologie website

The dresser is one that a roommate from my university years left behind and I hung onto because I thought it was cute. And we found a crib on Kijiji, that was the brand we wanted - Mother Hubbard - for $100! What I like best about it is that it has a large storage drawer underneath. Great for small space living. I also didn't want the convertible type of crib because I knew I wouldn't use that feature.

Next, I had to find some bedding that wasn't ugly. I didn't like anything I saw anywhere because it was all so busy and I felt like it would be too much against the mural. Then, I discovered Poids Plume. I fell in love with the calm colour and stunning graphic on their Tree of Life design. 

Design by Poids Plume
Screengrab courtesy of the Poids Plume website

Because I didn't want to put the mural up at our old house, I picked up a set of peel and stick decals by Wee Gallery at Baby on the Hip to add a hint of whimsy and thought I could use them as accents on other walls once the mural was up in the new house.

Screengrab courtesy of Wee Gallery website

I picked up some ready-to-hang blackout curtain panels for the bay window at Bouclair. My mom gave me some shelves to hang on the wall and I had them painted sage green. She also gave me the rocking chair she sat in to rock my brother and I when we were babies and the child sized rocking chair that was mine when I was little.

To keep clutter to a minimum, I picked up some storage bins from 3 Sprouts at Silly Goose Kids. I was careful to choose animals that could be found in a forest to keep the theme of the room.


Screengrabs courtesy of 3 Sprouts website

Finally, when we were in Nova Scotia for Thanksgiving, we picked up a sheepskin rug at Lismore Sheep Farm's Wool Shop.

I'm still putting the final touches on the room, so I'll share the reveal in a future post. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment